If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I created this recipe for my cookie boutique, Beurre & Sel, using Fonseca Bin 27, a delicious ruby Port. To start, I cook dried cranberries with Bin 27, honey and spice, and then fold them into a spiced shortbread dough. Before baking the cookies in a muffin tin (at Beurre & Sel I cut and make the cookies in 2-inch metal baking rings), I dab the center of each round of dough with cherry jam and then surround the jam with cocoa streusel. It's a bunch of parts that add up to one great cookie. —doriegreenspan
Makes about 30 cookies
For the cranberries and cookie base:
- 5 black peppercorns
- 2 points star anise
- One 2-inch piece cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Fonseca Bin 27 Port
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the streusel and jam:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup cherry jam
- 1 tablespoon Fonseca Bin 27
- To make the cranberries: Tie spices in a cheesecloth bundle and put in a small saucepan 2. Add honey, water and BIN 27. Simmer for 1 min. 3. Add cranberries and cook and stir until liquid evaporates. Discard spices. Cool cranberries.
- To make the cookie base: Mix flour, cinnamon, salt, ginger and black pepper together.
- Beat butter until creamy. Beat in both sugars. Add egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Blend in flour mixture, then stir in the Port-cooked cranberries.
- Divide dough into 2 disks. Wrap and chill 1 hr. Roll each disk between wax paper until dough is 1/4 inch thick. Freeze for 3 hrs.
- To make the streusel: Mix all the flour, brown sugar, cocoa, sugar, cinnamon, salt and butter together in a large bowl. Rub everything together with your fingers until streusel forms moist crumbs. Cover and chill for at least 1 hr.
- Baking Instructions: Center a rack in the oven and preheat oven to 350°F. Have a 12-cup muffin tin on hand.
- Stir the cherry jam and Fonseca BIN 27 together.
- Cut out 2-inch rounds of dough. Drop a round of dough into each muffin cup. Put about 1/2 tsp. of jam in the center of each cookie and spread into a small circle. Top with streusel.
- Bake 14 to 15 mins, until streusel sets and jam bubbles. Cool to room temperature before serving.
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.