If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I call it "almost" risotto, because I think it's simply the closest dish. I don't like risotto for its "heaviness" caused by parmegiano. Barley makes it more crunchy and less common.
I was thinking about using fish stock, but I'm pretty sure it would give it too fishy flavour. So instead of the stock I added "fat" and flavour by using salmon bellies. I would call it a hint: you can't see them, but they give a lot of flavour. I was looking for some similar recipe on the Internet, but I didn't find any, so I didn't really know what to expect, but it turned out great. All our 4 guests were completely happy with it. —Daria Faulkner
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup black barley
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 stripes of salmon bellies (skin removed, diced)
- 1 pound mussels (raw)
- 1 pound shrimp (raw or thawed)
- 1 pound baby scallops (raw or thawed)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1/2 cup leek (white and green parts sliced)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Heat the dutch oven on the medium high. Add 1 tbsp of oil. Add shrimp and scallops and cook stirring frequently for about 2-3 min. Remove shrimp and scallops from the dutch oven.
- Add the rest of the oil and saute minced garlic and diced onion for about 3-5 min. Add leek and saute 2 more min. Add salmon to the dutch oven and cook stirring frequently on the medium heat for 3-4 more minutes. Add 1 cup of barley, stir it with the mixture and cook for another 5 min. Add 1 cup of chicken stock. When the liquid is almost absorbed add the rest of barley, stock and wine. Stir and cook with the lid on while preheating the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Move dutch oven to the oven and cook fo 45 min. Add mussels, cook for 10 min more. Take out of the oven. Check whether all the mussels are open and stir everything together. Let it sit with the lid on for another 10 min and it's ready to be served.
Yello There, Yakitori
A menu that's everything and more
A menu that has it all.
A toast to toast.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.
Freestyle berry jam.
We give it 8 tentacles up.