If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love leeks in any form but find they're most often prepared with cream, bacon, and/or cheese. Though I love those dishes too, it's nice to let the humble leek shine in a simpler, healthier way sometimes. This is such a bright, flavorful dish: leeks drizzled with a garlicky oil, roasted and then topped with breadcrumbs toasted with grapefruit zest and juice. —em-i-lis
- 3 medium leeks, trimmed, halved lengthwise (halves left intact), and washed well
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mustard (powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup freshly made breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated grapefruit zest
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 385. Carefully cut the halved leeks in half crosswise and lay them on a baking sheet. In a small bowl, use a fork or whisk to mix together 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the kosher salt, minced garlic, dried mustard, Dijon mustard and several grinds of freshly ground pepper. Drizzle this mixture all over the leeks, slide the pan into the oven and bake 15 minutes until leeks are easily pierced with a knife but largely maintain their shape.
- While the leeks roast, make the toasted breadcrumbs. Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the butter in a skillet over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the grapefruit juice and zest and then stir in the breadcrumbs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss gently to make sure the breadcrumbs are evenly coated and toasting evenly. When they're golden and toasty, remove the skillet from heat and set aside until the leeks are ready.
- Arrange the leeks carefully onto a pretty serving platter and spread the toasted breadcrumbs over them. Serve!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Leeks
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Savor the season.