Author Notes: I love cauliflower - it has an almost creamy texture, which I just love paired with polenta. - apartmentcooker
Caramelized Onion Polenta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup polenta
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese, or more as needed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
Sausage and Cauliflower Ragu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 sausages, casings removed
- 1 cup cauliflower, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon basil, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons parsley, roughly chopped
- To make the polenta: In a small saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until evenly caramelized.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small pot. When it is warm, add the polenta, and stir lightly. Cook for 3 minutes, or until the polenta has absorbed all the liquid. If the mixture looks dry, add more warm milk. Stir in the cheese, butter, and caramelized onions, season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sausage, and saute until the onions are beginning to become translucent and the sausage is beginning to brown.
- Add the cauliflower, and saute until lightly caramelized. Add the garlic, and saute until fragrant.
- Add the tomato, and bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Season with herbs, salt, and pepper. Simmer until good flavor has developed, and serve atop the finished polenta. Mmmm….
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cauliflower Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Polenta Recipe