If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired by a multitude of Greek and Italian flavors, this dish is like a soup, salad, and pasta dish all-in-one. While hearty and warming, it has a light touch from the lemon and fresh herbs. The addition of romaine lettuce at the end may seem unusual, but in this case, it adds a flavor and texture that pairs well with the rest of the ingredients. Spinach, kale or arugula could be used in place of the lettuce. It comes together in about 20 minutes, and it's perfect for healthful lunches throughout the week. —foxeslovelemons
Food52 Review: Loriloveslemons' delicious soup was quick and easy to prepare, especially using already made rotisserie chicken. The lemon -- the dish's the secret weapon -- gave this soup a delightful complexity, while the beans, vegetables and pastine made it nice and filling. It was a little surprising to use lettuce in the soup, but because it was added at the end it retained some of its texture and crunch. This soup would be equally good subbing different vegetables or beans, and it's an excellent basic recipe that can easily become whatever you want it to be. —sdebrango
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 scallions (white and green parts separated), chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 9 cups chicken stock, plus additional if needed
- 3/4 cup acini de pepe pasta
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (from a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Red pepper flakes for garnish (optional)
- In a large saucepot, heat oil over medium heat. Add scallion whites and celery; cook 1 minute or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic, zucchini, salt, and pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add stock, pasta and lemon zest; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high; cook 9 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in chicken, beans, dill, and parsley; cook over medium-low for two minutes, or until chicken and beans are heated through.
- Just before serving, stir in lettuce, lemon juice and scallion greens. If soup becomes too thick, stir in additional stock as needed. Serve garnished with red pepper flakes, if desired.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Chickpeas
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Noodle Soups
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Beet greens can't be beat.
This month's most pinned recipes.