If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This fall I bought several winter squash at the farmer's market. They have waited faithfully for me on the dining room floor but I know they won't wait forever. So tonight I used a Bittman recipe for braised squash, dressed up with mushrooms, shallots, pea shoots, and the roasted squash seeds. We had it over a short grain Japanese rice. One dish and appreciated by all. - luvcookbooks
- 1 kabocha squash
- 8 shallots, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- dash ground cumin
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup pea shoots, chopped
- 2/3 cup water
- Use a large sharp knife and carefully cut the squash in large pieces. Take out the seeds with as little fiber as possible. Cut the squash into slices and then peel the slices with a smaller knife, then cut the slices into 1/2 to 1 inch cubes. It is arduous.
- Heat the olive oil and saute the shallots until they start to brown over medium low heat. Add the garlic, then the squash until the vegetables are coated with oil. Salt and pepper to taste and pour in the water. Simmer, covered for about 10 minutes.
- While the squash braises, mix the seeds with a little olive oil, a dash of salt, ground cumin and cayenne. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. The seeds should be dry and glistening, crisp but not fibrous. They may pop in the oven like popcorn but this will not cause a problem.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the braise and stir until the mushrooms are coated with the braising liquid. Cover and braise for about 15 more minutes. Taste for seasoning and simmer uncovered if the broth is too thin.
- Serve over rice. Stir some chopped pea shoots into each serving and top with a spoonful of roasted squash seeds.
Around the World in 16 Breakfasts
The most important meal of the day, the international way.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Prep your pans for perfection.
Stop the soap opera.