Author Notes: This hearty stew is a taste of India. Just the contents of 2 teabags (1 tablespoon) Chai Spice Black Tea add an exotic spicy aroma and flavor to the dish. It is delicious served with a dollop of plain yogurt and flatbread on the side.
The Chai spices I used (Stash’s Premium Chai Spice Black Tea) is a bland of Premium black teas and spices—ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves and cardamom. I also added fresh ginger, garlic and ground cumin. - Kukla
Serves 4 to 6
- • 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- • 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- • Kosher salt to taste
- • 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- • 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- • 2 teabags Chai spice black tea, empted
- • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- • 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- • 2 finely chopped roasted red bell peppers (can be from a jar)
- • 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce + 1cup water
- • 5 1/2 cups homemade chicken stock or store-bought low sodium chicken broth, divided
- • 1/2 cup quick- cook pearl barley
- • 2 (15-ounce cans organic chickpeas),well rinsed, and drained
- • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- • 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
- • Plain yogurt and flat bread for serving
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt; add to pot and cook, turning once, until browned, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Reduce heat to low and let oil cool a little. Add the ginger, garlic. Sauté until the ginger and garlic just start to brown.
- Add cumin, red pepper flakes and the chai spice black tea; sauté for 30 seconds. Stir in the roasted red bell peppers and tomato sauce. Rinse the can from tomato sauce with 1cup water and add it to the saucepan. Bring to a boil; then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Return reserved chicken with any accumulated juices and 4 cups of chicken stock to the pot. Scrape up any browned bits. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, occasionally stirring, until chicken is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Combine 1/2 cup barley and 11/2 cups chicken stock in a 2 quart sauce pan with a lid. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to low heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes.
- When the chicken is cooked, transfer to a plate. Add barley and chickpeas to the pot; bring to simmer and cook for 10 more minutes. Using 2 forks, shred chicken and add to stew. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and simmer for a couple more minutes. Taste and season with salt and more lemon juice, if needed.
- To serve: ladle hot stew into bowls; garnish with cilantro or parsley. Place a serving dish with plain yogurt and a plate with flat bread on your table.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Tea