Author Notes: Economical riff on steak & potatoes for a gathering. Bistro fare at its finest that can be used for flat iron, hanger, skirt or flank steak. Much less expensive then its counterparts such as rib-eye, filet mignon, NY strip or the like but still full of beefy flavor that improves with an easy marinade. I like to serve this with baby roasted potatoes that are boiled and fiinished in the oven. Cesear salad or a mixed green salad with blue cheese, feta, and home-made croutons & vinegarette makes this easy to feed a crowd that won't break the bank. This meal cost about $25. - sexyLAMBCHOPx
Serves 4-5, can be doubled, tripled
- 2 pounds Flat Iron Steak
- 4 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3/4 tablespoons freshly cracked pepper
- For Marinade: In a large ziploc bag add steak, canola oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, parsley, thyme and rosemary.
- Close ziploc bag and try to expet all the air out of the bag. Hand massage marinade into steak to distribute evenly. Place bag on plate and refrigerate at least 2 hours, turning over once.
- When ready to cook bring steak to room temperature. Discard marinade and blot steak lightly with a paper towel to remove excess marinade. Season steak with salt and pepper.
- Prepare stove-top grill pan to medium-high heat. Weather permitting, gas or coal grill works as well.
- Cook steak approximately 5-6 minutes on one side and turn over and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes for medium-rare (130 - 140 degrees F. )Use a digital meat thermometer for desired steak doneness. Re-season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Once steak is cooked to desired temperature take off heat and place on cutting board and tent loosely for at least 5-10 minutes. Then slice and put on platter arranging steak back to its orginal shape. Garnish with your choice of sides. Photo shows boiled & roasted baby potatoes and mixed green salad with balsamic vinegarette.