Author Notes: My business colleague came home from a recent trip to China, and told me the only fresh vegetables she had were cucumbers prepared in a vinaigrette that she guessed had rice vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, and some spicy heat. I was intrigued by her recipe because i thought that raw fennel would be an interesting addition to the dish. This salad is refreshing as a side, and is easily portable. - Bevi
For the Salad
- 4 small Persian cucumbers, very thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 fennel bulb, quartered, and then sliced very thinly with a mandolin
- 1 tablespoon fennel fronds, chopped
For the Vinaigrette
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Place the sliced cucumbers in a sieve and salt them. Allow them to sit and drain for an hour. Pat dry.
- Heat the sesame oil in a small pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the red pepper flakes. Stir for about a minute, and remove from the heat.
- Stir together the rice vinegar and the sugar, until the sugar is dissolved. Add the sesame oil. Blend thoroughly
- Place the cucumbers and fennel in a bowl. Add the vinaigrette and stir well. Place in the refrigerator and chill, stirring often.
- Serve as a side and enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel