Author Notes: I love grilled cheese sandwiches, but it's oh so nice to play with the variation of ingredients and cheeses. That is what I've done with this dish. I think I've perfected and found the perfect combination with this panini. - Melissa Daams
- 2 slices bread (whole wheat is my preference)
- 2 smears of Garlic and Herb cream cheese
- 1 layer of pan-fried courgette (zucchini slices)
- 1 layer of pan-fried aubergine (eggpalnt slices)
- 1 layer of roasted red peppers
- 1 handful shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 generous slice of Cheddar cheese
- First begin by cooking your courgette and aubergine in a pan with a little olive oil or butter till nice and brown. Remove and set aside. Heat a grill pan or Sandwich maker at this point, too.
- Then smear a generous (optional) amount of Garlic & Herb Cream cheese on each slice of bread.
- Then layer on the pan-fried courgette and aubergine.
- Then layer on the handful of shredded Mozzarella. (A slice of fresh Mozzarella also works, it's just much more moist and makes more of a mess.)
- Then layer on a big slice of roasted red pepper. (I usually buy the pre-made kind in a jar for fast preparation).
- Then top with a big slice of Cheddar Cheese. Sandwich together with the other slice of bread and put it into a piece of parchment paper for preparation to grill in the Sandwich maker (this makes clean up so much easier)
- Or if using a grill pan, place in the grill pan and cook a few minutes each side till golden brown grill lines appear.