If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I prefer tender mashed tots to the soaked-in-oil shredded variety sold in the supermarket. A coating of crushed rice cereal gives them a light crunch ... and makes them gluten-free as well. —ohyoucook
Makes 24-28 tots
- ollive oil cooking spray
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 1/2 cups Rice Chex or Rice Krispies, finely crushed (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Poke the sweet potatoes with a fork, then place on a heat-resistant plate. Microwave on full power for 10 minutes. Turn potatoes over, then continue to micro-cook for 5-10 additional minutes, or until completely cooked and soft. Remove from oven and allow to cool (this step can be done a day ahead).
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place half of the crushed cereal in a large bowl. Place remaining half in a medium size bowl (like a cereal bowl) and stir in parsley flakes, if using. Lightly spritz a shallow rimmed baking sheet with the cooking spray, then line with parchment paper. Lightly spray parchment.
- Remove and discard skins from cooled potatoes and place in the large bowl with the crushed cereal. Add salt and pepper; mash until well combined.
- Scoop out some of the potato mixture and roll into a ball about an inch in diameter. Gently press in the sides to form that familiar tot shape. Roll tot in remaining crushed cereal mixture, then place on prepared baking sheet. Continue with remaining mixture.
- Lightly spritz tots with the cooking spray. Place on middle rack in preheated oven. Bake for 10 minutes. Flip tops, then continue to bake another 10-15 minutes or until tots are nicely browned.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
Never Overcook Salmon Again
Low and (kind of) slow is the way to go
The foolproof way to cook salmon.
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
Know (and shop) the basics.
The invincible beer can chicken.
The chicest apron around.