Author Notes: An easy refreshing "make ahead" salad to bring to a picnic -- or just have on hand to accompany some lime grilled chicken. - inpatskitchen
Food52 Review: Inpatskitchen’s recipe for Confetti Coconut Rice Salad is a winner. It's ready to please any appetite. The sweetness is balanced out by the bite of the jalapeño and radish. This very versatile dish is great as a side or as a meal on its own; my husband and ate it along side mussels one night and caramelized pork loin the next. Since we prefer savory to sweet, I opted to leave out the shredded coconut and substitute the mint for cilantro. The dressing is sweet as well, so I added extra lime. The genius part of the recipe is that it gets better at room temperature! If you're impatient, like me, it's even good out of the fridge with 10 seconds in the microwave. - the_log_lady
Serves 6 to 8 (or maybe more)
- 1 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup jasmine rice
- 2 cups finely diced English cucumber (with the skin on)
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 cup finely diced red radish
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup finely sliced fresh mint leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the coconut milk and water into a medium saucepan that has a lid. Heat until the cream on top of the can of coconut milk melts into the mixture. Add the rice, bring up to a boil, and then gently simmer, covered, for 15 to 18 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed into the rice. Cool the rice to room temperature.
- Once the rice has cooled, place in a good size mixing bowl and stir in the diced cucumber, onion, radish, jalapeño, and coconut.
- Whisk the lime juice, sugar and oil together, then stir into the salad until everything is coated.
- Gently stir in the sliced mint leaves and season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate, but bring to room temperature to serve.