If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is an easy, refreshing, make-ahead salad to bring to a picnic -- or just have on hand to accompany some grilled chicken. —inpatskitchen
Food52 Review: Inpatskitchen’s recipe for Confetti Coconut Rice Salad is a winner. The sweetness is balanced by the bite of the jalapeño and radish. This versatile dish is great as a side or as a meal on its own: My husband and ate it alongside mussels one night, and caramelized pork loin the next. Since we prefer savory to sweet, I opted to leave out the shredded coconut. The dressing is sweet as well, so I added extra lime. The genius part of the recipe is that it gets better at room temperature! If you're impatient, like me, take it out of the fridge and zap it in the microwave for ten seconds before eating. —eizelle
Serves about 6 to 8
- One 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 cups English cucumber, skin on, finely diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup red radish, finely diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the coconut milk and water into a medium saucepan -- make sure to choose one that has a lid. Heat until the cream on top of the can of coconut milk melts into the mixture. Add the rice and bring to a boil. Let the rice simmer, covered, for 15 to 18 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed. Cool the rice to room temperature.
- Once the rice has cooled, place it in a large mixing bowl and stir in the diced cucumber, onion, radish, jalapeño, and coconut.
- Whisk the lime juice, sugar, and oil together, then add it to the salad and stir until everything is coated.
- Gently stir in the sliced mint leaves and season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate, but bring to room temperature to serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
Your New Main Squeeze
A tart, sunny lemon bar cheesecake
Lemon bar cheesecake takes the cake.
Recipe of the Day
Savor the season.
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
A board to go nuts over.