If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I almost hate to submit this recipe, but after years of trying to do way too much with ham, I finally figured out simpler is better. It can be done without the glaze for serving, but I think that really adds to it. —Kayb
Food52 Review: Kayb sticks to a classic sweet glaze, but instead of whacking you over the head with sugar, Kayb balances the sweetness (here, dark brown sugar) with grainy and ground mustards, and a healthy splash of bourbon. We used a boneless cured and smoked and cured ham, and although it didn't have a speck of fat on in, we still scored it -- what's a ham without a little checkerboard pattern? - A&M —The Editors
For cooking ham
- 1/2 cup whole-grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 5-8 pounds half ham, butt portion, can be sliced or not
- 1 1/2 cups ham drippings or stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 cup brown sugr
- pinches nutmeg
- pinches ground cloves
- Score ham in a diamond pattern to 1/4 inch deep (if not sliced). Place ham on rack in roasting pan.
- Blend mustard, honey, nutmeg and cloves.
- Using your hands, smear mustard mixture all over surface of ham.
- Again using hands, pack brown sugar all over exterior of ham, pressing to be certain it adheres.
- Put bourbon in a spray bottle, and mist brown sugar coating to barely moisten. You may not use the entire 1/4 cup.
- Bake ham, uncovered, in 300-degree oven for 20 minutes per pound.
- Strain ham drippings, skim as much fat as you wish, and add ham stock to make 1 1/2 cups. Heat in small saucepan over medium heat to boiling. Add brown sugar and spices; cook until thickened and serve over ham at table. (You can also add a little pineapple juice to this, if you wish.)
- Your Best Baked Ham Contest Finalist!
You Can Have It All
Well, at least your zucchini bread—er, cake—can
Zucchini cake is everything you want.
The dreamiest foods around.
Burnt Toast: Episode 13
A can-do tool.