If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Ever go overboard when you're at the farmer's market? With summer upon us, I generally bring home way too many of the beautiful and bountiful veggies from our local farmers' market. This week, zucchini, summer squash, and carrots were overflowing our refrigerator so I decided to use them to satisfy my mid-week baking urge. I was inspired by Smitten Kitchen's Zucchini Bread: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2007/07/summer-of-the-bats/, but decided to play Dr. Frankenstein on this recipe in order to use up some other odds and ends in my pantry including some ginger, brown sugar, whole wheat flour and rolled oats. The result was lightly sweet, fluffy, and almost carrot-cakey in taste. —Abbie C
Makes 2 loaves
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup grapeseed oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (I used 1/4 cup dark muscovado and 1/2 cup light brown)
- 2 1/2 cups grated veggies (1 zucchini, 1 summer squash, 2 carrots all small/medium-sized)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour two 8x4 inch loaf pans.
- In a stand mixer (or by hand in a large bowl), beat the eggs on low. Add the brown sugar, oil, and vanilla extract. Mix in the grated veggies and ginger.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the two types of flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix in the rolled oats.
- Gradually mix the dry mixture into the wet mixture. Divide evenly between the loaf pans.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the loaves comes out clean.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Breakfast Baked Good
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Is your cilantro contaminated?
It's time to travel.
Do this for better cold brew.