Author Notes: I am in love with freekeh, green wheat that is roasted and has a smoky flavor and a nutty texture. It is perfect with creamy french feta, nice ripe tomatoes, and olive oil. Here, I used April Bloomfield's Lemon Caper dressing, http://food52.com/recipes/16940-april-bloomfield-s-lemon-caper-dressing, to dress up a grain salad. Chickpeas give it enough heft to be an entree, and fresh basil and jalapeno brighten things up. - clintonhillbilly
- 1 cup freekeh, uncooked
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 3/4 recipe April Bloomfield's Lemon Caper dressing
- 3/4 cups high quality olives
- 2/3 cups fresh basil, torn or chopped up
- 3 ounces French feta
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 jalapeno, minced
- 2 cups water
- First, put 1 cup freekeh and 2 cups water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 40 minutes, until freekeh is soft. It will retain a slightly chewy texture.
- While the freekeh is cooking, make April Bloomfield's Lemon Caper dressing. The leftover 1/4 recipe is great over fish or asparagus with hard-boiled eggs.
- When freekeh is cooked, add dressing, tomatoes, feta, chickpeas, jalapeno, and olives to put and toss to combine. Ideally, let it cool down to room temperature before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack