If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I am in love with freekeh, green wheat that is roasted and has a smoky flavor and a nutty texture. It is perfect with creamy french feta, nice ripe tomatoes, and olive oil. Here, I used April Bloomfield's Lemon Caper dressing, http://food52.com/recipes/16940-april-bloomfield-s-lemon-caper-dressing, to dress up a grain salad. Chickpeas give it enough heft to be an entree, and fresh basil and jalapeno brighten things up. —clintonhillbilly
- 1 cup freekeh, uncooked
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 3/4 recipe April Bloomfield's Lemon Caper dressing
- 3/4 cup high quality olives
- 2/3 cup fresh basil, torn or chopped up
- 3 ounces French feta
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 jalapeno, minced
- 2 cups water
- First, put 1 cup freekeh and 2 cups water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 40 minutes, until freekeh is soft. It will retain a slightly chewy texture.
- While the freekeh is cooking, make April Bloomfield's Lemon Caper dressing. The leftover 1/4 recipe is great over fish or asparagus with hard-boiled eggs.
- When freekeh is cooked, add dressing, tomatoes, feta, chickpeas, jalapeno, and olives to put and toss to combine. Ideally, let it cool down to room temperature before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack