If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This sandwich recalls the very best of summer in the country. A delectable pairing of salt and sweet, tart apples are contrasted with basil and arugula over a base of creamy goat cheese. Local honey adds a delicate sweetness that ties this sandwich together over a base of dense French baguette. —nycnomad
Basil and Walnut Pesto
- 1/2 cup Fresh Walnuts
- 1 bunch Fresh Basil
- 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
For the Sandwich
- 2-3 tablespoons Soft Goat Cheese (or as much as you like)
- 2 teaspoons Local Honey
- 1 cup Fresh Organic Arugula
- 1 Sliced Tart and Sweet Apple (Fuji, Pink Lady or Granny Smith)
- 2-3 tablespoons Walnut Pesto
- 1 Rustic French Baguette
- For the walnut pesto, wash the basil an pat dry. Place basil in a hand mixer or blender along with 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil. Blend until a smooth texture is reached (about 30 seconds). Gradually add the rest of the olive oil blending continuously. Add the walnuts and blend again. Finally add salt to taste. If you prefer a thinner pesto, you can add more olive oil, remembering that the pesto should spread easily on the bread without running or soaking the bread.
- Once the pesto has been prepared slice the baguette in half and then slice each half lengthwise. Remove some of the soft center, preserving the crust, to allow space for the filling. On the base of the sandwich spread a thin (or thick) layer of goat cheese. Add a layer of arugula and top with thinly sliced apple. Drizzle with honey. Coat the top half of the baguette with the walnut pesto and assemble. Slice in half and enjoy this delicious summer treat!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Honey
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
Put Summer in a Jar
How to freestyle berry jam
Freestyle berry jam.
A toast to toast.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.
The new Food52 office.