If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Many years ago my oldest daughter and I would watch Anne of Green Gables together. One day I found a cookbook called "The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook". The cookbook has recipes from 'Poetical Egg Salad sandwiches' to 'Anne's Liniment Cake' and Diana Barry's Favourite raspberry Cordial.' It even has a recipe for 'Caramel Pudding Sauce' (without the mouse). The best recipe of all was a recipe for Old Fashioned lemonade using fresh lemon juice. This has become a family favorite and we like to change it up with fresh berry puree and some sparkling water. Simple and so refreshing.
"...Anne had brought glasses and lemonade for her guests, but for her own part drank cold brook water from a cup fashioned out of birch bark...Anne thought it more appropriate to the occasion than lemonade." - Janet @ simplysogood.com
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup lemon juice
- zest from one lemon
- cold or sparkling water
- lemon slices, optional
- mint leaves for garnish
- Measure the sugar and water into a sauce pan. While stirring with a wooden spoon, bring the mixture to a boil for 5 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Let cool slightly.
- Add fresh squeezed lemon juice and lemon zest to the sugar syrup. Cool completely. Pour the lemonade syrup into a quart jar. Cover tightly with the lid. The syrup can be kept in the refrigerator for 2 or 3 weeks.
- When you’re read to serve the lemonade, put some ice cubes in the bottom of a glass. Our ¼ cup of the lemon syrup over the ice cubes. Add ¾ cup cold water or sparkling water and stir.
- Float a thin slice of lemon and, if you like, a fresh mint leaf on top of each glass. The recipe makes enough syrup for 14 glasses of lemonade.
- Pink lemonade: add 1/2 cup grenadine syrup to the jar of lemonade syrup and stir. Strawberry lemonade: add 2 tablespoons of puree of fresh strawberries into each glass. Limeade: Replace lemon with lime juice and lime zest.