If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Tomatillos are one of my favorite things that Summer has to offer. They have a somewhat lemon-y flavor that compliments many other "summer" flavors, and works really well inside a delicious pastry. Mini empanadas are a great snack to take on the road, since they are extremely portable and, well, just delicious. Guaranteed to get you geared up for any trip! —Ty Ryavec
Makes about 50
- 1 medium red onion
- 12 ounces tomatillos, small dice
- 1 medium tomato, small dice
- 1/2 tablespoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Olive Oil
- 1 egg white
- Salt, to taste
- In a pot on low-medium heat, add olive oil and red onion. Cook until caramelization begins to occur.
- Add tomatillos, tomato, and red pepper. Mix together. Add red wine vinegar and bring to a low simmer. Cover, and cook on low heat until mixture has come together. Remove lid and cook a little long to allow moisture to evaporate.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a sheet pan and set aside for later use.
- Lightly dust flour onto countertop and place sheet of puff pastry. Roll out to desired thickness. (I rolled mine very thin.) Take a biscuit/cookie cutter (I used a 3”) and cut out circles.
- Fill puff pastry circles on one side, about half way. Using wet fingers, seal the empanadas. Take a fork and crimp the edges down.
- Once empanadas are formed, place them on the prepared sheet pan. Using a pastry brush, coat with egg wash. Place in the oven about 10 minutes, or until the dough is golden and cooked through.
- Let cool, then pack 'em up for the road!
- *Note: these can also be made into regular sized empanadas. I just like the compact nature of these for a great road trip snack!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.