If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Not a traditional risotto, since there is no rice, but the potatoes are cooked risotto style until they are creamy while still holding their shape. I had been toying with the concept of a curry potato risotto for a while, but the true inspiration for the dish as it is described below came from Chef Peter Berley and his great risotto class at the Institute of Culinary Education in NYC, so thank you! —CamsKitchen
Serves 4 as a side or 2 as a main course
- 6 cups chicken stock;
- 2 tbsp olive oil;
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced;
- 2 cloves garlic, grated;
- 2 pounds starchy potatoes, such as Yukon Gold, peeled and diced into small, equally sized pieces;
- 3 tbsp curry powder;
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika;
- 1/2 cup white wine;
- 1/2 tbsp chili oil (optional);
- 4 tbsp creme fraiche;
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped;
- Salt and pepper.
- Place stock in large pot over medium heat and bring to a boil. Lower heat to low and leave stock, covered, to keep warm.
- While stock warms up, heat olive oil in skillet on medium-high heat. add onion and let sweat until translucent and beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, potatoes, curry, and paprika and stir.
- Add wine stir. Wait until all liquid has been absorbed and alcohol has cooled off.
- Add one ladle of stock to skillet, stirring. Wait for all liquid to be absorbed before adding another ladle of stock. Keep adding ladles of stock, waiting for liquids to be absorbed in between, until potatoes are soft to the bite but still holding their shape. You may have some broth left over.
- Remove risotto from the heat and, if using, add chili oil. You can add more or less to taste.
- In a separate bowl, combine creme fraiche and cilantro. Serve risotto immediately with a generous dollop of creme fresh on top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Risotto (Savory)
Welcome to the Winner's Circle
Your Best Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert
Welcome to the winner's circle.
Recipe of the Day
Your poolside essentials.
Dessert before dinner.