Author Notes: This was made a couple of weeks ago to go along with grilled lamb chops. Make it a main by adding some feta and olives. - inpatskitchen
Serves 3 as a side
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium leek, white and light green part only, diced
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 cup Israeli (pearl) couscous
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (plus a little extra if needed)
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 2 to 3 handfuls of baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium sauce pan with a lid and add the leek and garlic. Saute until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the chicken broth and couscous, bring up to a boil and then down to a simmer and simmer, covered for 8 to 10 minutes.
- On the heat, stir in the diced tomato and chopped spinach and stir until the spinach wilts. If the mixture seems dry at this point add a little more broth. Off the heat, stir in the sliced basil and season to your liking with salt and pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs