If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Not necessarily the traditional Creole/Cajun version, but nevertheless one that tastes of the deep South. A great go-to one-dish meal for a lazy, cold weekend while you're watching ballgames or bundled up in front of the fire with a good book and some good music. You can make a quicker version with canned red beans or kidney beans -- use four cans, drained and rinsed. And it's a good, cheap, filling, healthy dinner -- probably somewhere around a buck a serving, - Kayb
Serves 12 or so
- 1 pound small red beans, dried
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 15-oz cans petite diced tomatos
- 1 can diced tomatos and green chiles
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup diced or shredded cooked chicken or turkey
- 1 cup diced or shredded smoked ham (or 2 hamhocks)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or cayenne
- 2-3 dashes hot pepper sauce (preferably Pick-a-Peppa)
- 4 cups cooked white rice, for serving
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Soak beans overnight in water; drain and rinse.
- Put beans in stock pot with enough water to barely reach the top of beans. Add tomatos, tomatos and chiles, paprika, pepper, seasoned salt and cooked chicken. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, and lower heat to medium low.
- Saute onion in olive oil over medium heat until soft. Add sliced andouille and saute over medium high heat until beginning to brown. Add ham and saute until meats are browned. Add to stockpot.
- Simmer over medium low heat until beans are completely done, about two hours. Can hold over low heat for hours longer. Serve in large soup bowls over a mound of white rice, with a good crusty bread or old-fashioned cornbread on the side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Beans
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls