Author Notes: I know people who absolutely love that weekend brunch staple: the Bloody Mary. While I thoroughly appreciate the idea of a drink that you can almost pass off as healthy (and that you can stuff full of skewered, pickled goodies), I have never enjoyed drinking tomatoes. I much prefer a plump, ripe tomato to the watery juice. The great thing about this recipe is that you can customize by adding or changing ingredients. Optional add-ins: Chopped pickled carrots or other vegetables, cubed cheese (swiss or other), cubed salami or pepperoni, cocktail shrimp... - Stephanie
Pasta Salad Ingredients
- 6 ounces dried mini shell pasta
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 cup giardiniera, chopped
- 4-6 peperoncinis, diced
- 1/4 English cucumber, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
Bloody Mary Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons pasta water
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vodka
- 1 tablespoon brine from giardiniera
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared cocktail sauce
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- Blanch the grape tomatoes for 30-45 seconds.
- Cook pasta in salted water, according to directions on package. Before draining the pasta, reserve 2 tablespoons of the water (the starch in the water will help thicken the sauce and help it adhere to the pasta).
- While pasta is cooking, in separate bowl, mix tomato paste, water, vodka, and brine. Stir in remaining ingredients for the sauce.
- Once pasta is drained and cool, toss all ingredients.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes and serve chilled.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe