If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Ouzo may seem an unusual choice for a risotto recipe, but I promise it makes the tomato, olive, shrimp, and feta flavors stand up and shout! - Pinch&Swirl
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 1 pint ripe grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup ouzo (our favorite has a prominent, black #12 on the label)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup slivered, fresh basil leaves
- chive flowers for garnish (optional)
- Partially cook short grain brown rice in a rice cooker or saucepan using 1/2 cup less liquid than called for on the package. Cook for about 10 minutes less than the package directs, leaving the rice slightly under-cooked. (If you are using a rice cooker, use the white rice instead of brown rice setting.)
- Add tomatoes to the bowl of a food processor or blender pitcher and pulse until nearly pureed, leaving some small pieces; reserve.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots; cook and stir until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add partially cooked rice; cook and stir to coat with olive oil, about 1 minute. Add warm water and ouzo; stir until absorbed, about 3 minutes. Add pureed tomatoes; cook and stir until tomato has softened and liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Add feta, kalamata olives, and lemon zest; cook and stir until feta has melted, about 1 minute. Add shrimp; cook and stir until shrimp is pink and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Check flavor; add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Transfer to serving platter and sprinkle with fresh basil and chive flowers if desired. Serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe