Author Notes: Inspired by Bon Appetite's recipe, in addition, the cherry tomatoes are quick roasted so the skin can be peeled, and "dyed" in turmeric oil for a popping colour. The cold cherry tomato vinaigrette pairs perfectly with gorgonzola bachamel sauce on a toasty bruschetta. For more photos: http://www.ladyandpups.com/2013/08/08/cherry-tomato-vinaigrette-and-gorgonzola-bruschetta-eng/ - Mandy @ Lady and pups
Makes 7~8 bruschetta
- 350 grams of red cherry tomato
- 350 grams of yellow cherry tomato
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 clove of garlic, paper-thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 shallots, very finely minced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely diced chives
Gorgonzola bachamel sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 110 grams of creamy gorgonzola cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- salt to taste
- Make the cherry tomato vinaigrette: Preheat the top-broiler on high. After washing the cherry tomatoes, scatter them on a large sheet pan. Place the pan on the upper-rack in the oven, about couple of inches under the broiler, and scorch the tomatoes until every skin has split open. Remove from the oven and let them cool down until enough to handle. Mix together 2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil and ground turmeric, and set aside. Start peeling the yellow cherry tomatoes first (the skins should remove easily), and add the peeled tomatoes to the turmeric olive oil as you go. After you’re done with all the yellow cherry tomatoes, give them a thorough toss to make sure every single one of them is evenly coated in turmeric oil, and let them sit for a few minutes while you peel the red tomatoes.
- Add all the peeled red cherry tomatoes and the yellow tomatoes in a large bowl, or sheet pan. Mix together thinly sliced garlic, minced shallots, sea salt, chili flakes, ground black pepper, white wine vinegar, lime juice and extra virgin olive oil, then pour the vinaigrette over the tomatoes. Toss to make sure they are evenly coated, then let them sit in the fridge to marinate for at least 3 hours, turning and tossing them occasionally. Right before serving, add the chives to combine.
- Make the gorgonzola bachamel: Melt butter in a small sauce pot over medium heat, then add flour and saute for a couple of min. Add the whole milk and keep whisking until the mixture comes to a simmer and starts to thicken up. Break up gorgonzola cheese into small chunks and add the the milk mixture, along with ground black pepper and ground nutmeg. Stir and simmer until the gorgonzola has melted. Adjust the taste with salt.
- To serve: Slice bread into 1/2″ thick and toast under broiler until golden browned on each side. Spoon the gorgonzola sauce over on top, then lots of marinated cherry tomatoes and a couple tsp of the vinaigrette. Sprinkle with some sea salt and chives.