If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A lot of zucchini coming out of the garden right now and I'm thinking of all sorts of ways to prepare it. Cooler nights this week so soup was in order. I took one of those zucchini and added potatoes, dill and chicken broth and made this soup. The next day I tasted the leftovers chilled and it was just as good! Truly a soup for all seasons!! - inpatskitchen
Makes about 2 quarts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 medium red skin potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups) or more:see note below
- 1 medium zucchini grated on the large holes of a box grater (about 3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh dill (or 1 tablespoon dried)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Thinly sliced green onion for garnish (optional) if serving warm
- Finely diced cucumber for garnish (optional) if serving chilled
- In a 4 quart soup pot, melt the butter along with the olive oil, add the diced onion and saute until the onion softens but doesn't brown.
- Add the diced potatoes, shredded zucchini, salt, pepper and dill and continue to saute while stirring for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, bring up to a boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Cool the soup a bit and then puree with an immersion blender or blend in batches in a regular blender. To serve warm, bring the soup just barely to a boil and whisk in the sour cream Garnish each bowl with the green onion if desired. To serve cold, after whisking in the sour cream, cool the soup to room temperature and then chill in the fridge for several hours (or overnight) before serving and garnish with the cucumber.
- Note: For a thicker soup add a few more potatoes to the mix.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup
Recipe of the Day
When life hands you lemons, make sparkling rhubarb lemonade.
Recipe of the Day
Eat your beans.
Enter your best mash-up recipe.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.