Author Notes: Aside from the vinaigrette, a trip to the farmer's market today supplied us with all the produce we needed to make this salad. Ground cherries have a short harvesting season here, and we love the sweet taste and melt-in-your-mouth feel to these lovely little beauties. They work beautifully in this salad. I keep the vinaigrette simple so all the vegetables get to shine. - Bevi
Makes 4 portions
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- juice of one small lime
- zest of the lime
- sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- 4 ears grilled corn
- 1 cup husked whole ground cherries (see below)
- 1 cup cucumber, quartered lengthwise, deseeded, and chopped
- 3 tablespoons basil, cut into a fine chiffonade
- 2 tablespoons shallot, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, minced finely (add more if you prefer)
- Wash the ground cherries in their husks. I have better luck removing the husks if they are moistened. Pinch the base of the husk away from the cherry - it should slide off easily.
- Prepare the vinaigrette by combining the olive oil, lime juice, lime zest and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place the grilled corn, ground cherries, cukes, basil, shallot, and jalapeño to a medium sized serving bowl and mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Add the vinaigrette, mix all ingredients, and chill in the refrigerator.