If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A slow cooker favorite, that even avowed quinoa haters enjoy! See more here: http://threecleversisters.com/2012/04/19/black-bean-sweet-potato-chili-with-quinoa/ —sarabclever
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- One 14.5-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 pound black beans, soaked overnight
- 1 chipotle chile (from canned chipotle chiles in adobo), minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano (or regular)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, or more to taste
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups water
- Sour cream or greek yogurt for garnish
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over moderate heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and beginning to brown, 6 to 7 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, and coriander and stir. Cook together for 1 minute.
- Add this mixture, along with all the remaining ingredients, to the crock pot. Stir and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours. You may need to add more water at the end, though thanks to pre-soaking the beans, I have found it not to be necessary.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and sour cream or Greek yogurt, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Quinoa Recipe
We Need Your Help!
Sign up to be a recipe tester
We need your help!
Popular Pinterest recipes.
It's time to travel.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
Off to market.