Author Notes: Delicious soft rice paper rolls filled with spicy chicken, rice noodles, and a deliciously spicy chili dipping sauce. Like Thai Larb but packaged in an easy to eat container. - Palatable Pastime
Makes 6 rolls
Thai Larb Rolls
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 8 ounces ground chicken
- .5 small onion, chopped
- 1-2 minced fresh red Thai chillies
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- .5 whole lime (fresh lime juice and zest)
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted rice powder
- 2.5 ounces dry rice vermicelli
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Thai holy basil, chopped
- 6 large rice paper wrappers (banh trang)
Spicy Thai Dipping Sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet Thai chili sauce (Mae Ploy) or Thai chili and ginger sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Prepare rolls: Brown and crumble chicken, minced chillies and chopped onions in peanut oil in a nonstick skillet until cooked through; remove from heat.
- Stir in brown sugar, fresh lime juice, fish sauce, and roasted rice powder; allow to cool.
- Cook rice vermicelli in boiling water for 1 minute; drain and run cold water over it to stop cooking.
- Stir together ingredients for dipping sauce and set aside.
- Snip cooked noodles into smaller pieces. place in a mixing bowl with cooked chicken, green onions, Thai basil and mint; stir until mixed.
- Fill a large bowl with warm water. Take rice papers one at a time and submerge in water until it softens, about 15 seconds or so.
- Remove rice paper from water and swat each side against dry paper toweling, then place on a flat surface. Place 1/2 cup meat/vermicelli mixture in the center of rice paper, fold sides over, then fold bottom end over and roll up; repeat with the remaining 5 wrappers.
- Serve immediately with dipping sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe