If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Erase the ravages of the weekend and all that overindulging by whipping up a big batch of bean and veggie stew. This stew rings all the healthy bells and whistles; vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, low fat, but tasteless its not. In fact it’s amazing how satisfying hearty beans and squash are combined with a few well-chosen spices. Of course, it’s a home cooks prerogative to mix it up a bit too. —secretsofahomecook
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 14 ounces can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- Bean soaking: Place beans in water, covered by 2 inches. The traditional way is to cover and soak 8 hours to overnight. The quick way is to boil for 1 minute and set aside for 1 hour. Either way yields the same results.
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté onions in oil until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, paprika and oregano and cook 1 more minute. Add tomatoes, squash, broth and beans and turn up the heat. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer. Cook about 1 hour until beans and squash are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Is your cilantro contaminated?
It's time to travel.
Do this for better cold brew.