Author Notes: This almond butter honey cake came from the desire to make a snacking cake that is only lightly sweet. Imagine a warm almond butter sandwich, with honey, made on whole-grain bread with browned crusts. (Except, in this case, the flours are all grain-free.) It's a late afternoon kind of cake, not a decadent airy cake meant for a birthday party. - glutenfreegirl
- 70 grams almond flour (make sure it's finely ground)
- 70 grams buckwheat flour (make sure it's gluten-free)
- 30 grams arrowroot flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 100 grams coconut oil, melted (about 1/2 cup)
- 200 grams almond butter, at room temperature (or 3/4 cup)
- 185 grams honey (or 3/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Preparing to bake. Heat the oven to 350° F. Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with greased parchment paper.
- Combining the dry ingredients. Whisk together the almond flour, buckwheat flour, arrowroot flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. (For best results, aerate these ingredients together in a food processor or stand mixer.) Set aside.
- Combining the wet ingredients. Stir together the melted coconut oil, almond butter, honey, and vanilla. (For best results, use a stand mixer.) Add the vanilla extract, and then the egg, mixing well.
- Finishing the batter. Slowly, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. When all traces of flour have disappeared into the batter, you are done.
- Baking the cake. Bake the cake until the edges start to pull away from the pan and the center is springy to the touch, 30 to 40 minutes. The edges may grow dark, since baked goods made with honey darken more easily. Don't worry. Your cake will still taste good.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!