If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: An old childhood favourite of mine that has haunted me for years....who would have thought its as "easy as pie" to make? Literally... - Greedy Foodster
- 1 pound Fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 pound Feta cheese
- 4 Eggs
- 1 packet Filo pastry
- 1 cup Paella/Risotto rice
- 3 tablespoons Low fat natural yoghurt
- Olive oil
- Put a pint of water in a large flat pan and season with salt, pepper, a grating of 1/2 a nutmeg and a splash of olive oil. Bring to boil and drop the spinach leaves in. Turn a few times with a thong and as soon as it changes its colour to deep green and goes soft it’s ready! Drain through a colander into a large bowl and keep the liquid. Set the spinach aside to cool.
- Wipe the pan clean, return to the hob, add a splash of olive oil and put in a cup of rice.Toast for a couple of minutes until transparent and start adding a ladle full of the spinach liquid at a time, just like making a risotto
- When the rice gets plump and almost ready (al dente) chop the spinach and put it in the pan. Stir well and set aside to cool for 10 minutes
- After the mix has cooled, add 200 gr of crumbled feta cheese, 4 beaten eggs and 3 tbsp of low fat natural yoghurt. Mix well and that is your filling ready
- Preheat your oven to 180C Line a 22? spring form tin with 2 sheets of filo, overlapping the sides. Drizzle with a little olive oil
- Add a thin layer of the spinach mix (about 1/4). Then cover with a sheet of filo and drizzle with oil again. Repeat until the mix is over, then bring the sides in after the last sheet of filo pastry goes on top. Brush with egg wash (1 yolk and a tbsp of water). Put in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Take out, let it rest for 5 minutes and take out of the tin onto a cooling rack. Serve warm or cold with a lovely fresh green salad. It will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days or you can cut in wedges and freeze ( Defrost in the fridge, not at room temp, reheat and consume the same day!)
Egyptian Street Food at Home
Spend quality time with The Cairo Kitchen.
The Cairo Kitchen
Boost your Bagel
Fire up the grill.
Dipped Walnut Tongs
Portable picnic snacks.