If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: What can I say? I looove breakfast sandwiches. Especially ones that include a fried egg and sharp cheddar. These ones, with creamy, mustardy Swiss chard on top of the cheese and egg, I first made one day last year when we had some friends over for breakfast. They were a hit, and since then I've made them many more times. —fiveandspice
- 4 biscuits from your favorite recipe (or 4 English muffins, or 8 pieces of toast)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch of Swiss chard, washed, stems removed, and cut into 1-inch square-ish pieces
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 4 slices of good sharp cheddar
- A knob of butter
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Gently warm your biscuits and slice them in half, set aside somewhere to keep warm. In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the chopped Swiss chard plus a good sprinkling of salt and pepper and cook a few minutes until wilted. Add the mustard and cream to the greens and stir to coat well.
- Put a piece of cheddar on the bottom of each biscuit, then add a quarter of the Swiss chard to each biscuit.
- Wipe out the chard pan, put it over medium high heat and add the butter. Let the butter heat until it foams, swirling it to coat the bottom of the pan. Crack the eggs into the pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until they’re set on their bottoms, then flip them and continue to cook another minute or so until they’re done to your liking. For closed-face sandwiches I like my egg to have a yolk that is ever so slightly runny but that is most of the way softly cooked through.
- Put an egg on each biscuit bottom on top of the cheese and greens, then top each with their biscuit top and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Put That Cucumber down
Zucchini pickles are the new big dill
Put that cucumber down.
A bite-sized lunch.
Free shipping, this weekend only!
The freedom to snack.
Savor the season.