If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is an easy dish for a lazy day around the house without too much effort. And does it get any cheaper than rice & beans? This is delicious served with avocado slices on corn tortillas. - nannydeb
- 1 cup dry Anasazi beans
- about 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 fresh chili pequin peppers, or 1 fresh jalapeno, chopped
- 2 tablespoons New Mexico chili powder
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3 cups summer squash, chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- avocado slices, optional
- homemade salsa, optional
- corn tortillas
- Cover the dry beans with water and soak over night.
- Heat the canola oil in a cast iron dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes or so. Drain beans and add them to the pot with about three cups fresh water and the chili pequins.
- Cook beans, uncovered over low heat for 1-1 1/2 hours or until soft. The beans do not have to be completely cooked since you'll be cooking them a little longer in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drain beans, reserving liquid and put beans back in the pot. Add enough water to the reserved liquid to make up 2 1/2 cups and add to the beans.
- Add chili powder, brown rice and chopped squash to the beans.
- Cover and bake in the oven for one hour.
- Fluff with a fork and stir in chopped oregano and salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve with hot fresh corn tortillas, homemade salsa and sliced avocado.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Beans
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.