If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The classic Sicilian winter salad. This traditional salad changes from household to household. In its simplest version it has just blood oranges, sliced and seasoned with a pinch of salt and olive oil. In more elaborate versions, it can include green or black olives, anchovies, fresh chilli, green onion, even smoked fish. This is somewhere in between. - Emiko
- 4 small blood oranges
- 2 fennel bulbs
- A handful of good quality olives, green or black
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- pinches Sea salt
- Peel and slice the oranges into small segments, removing the membrane when you come across it. Reserve half an orange to use for the dressing. Slice the fennel, ideally with a mandolin, or as thinly as you can. Reserve some of the green fennel tops for garnish.
- Toss the fennel, orange slices and olives in a bowl together.
- In a small separate bowl, combine the juice of half an orange, the extra virgin olive oil and salt and whisk to form an emulsion. Dress the salad with this mixture and garnish with some fennel tops.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!