If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A nice side for turkey, chicken or pork, this dressing could also stand up as a main coupled with a green salad. - inpatskitchen
Makes 6 to 8 side servings
- 5 cups 3/4 inch diced potatoes(I used Yukon Gold)
- 3/4 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage (or around 3 sausages with casings removed)
- 5 cups 3/4 inch cubed stale bread (I used a French bread)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 teaspoons crushed fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- Additional salt and pepper for seasoning if needed
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage well, breaking up the clumps with a wooden spoon as you go. Remove from the pan and set aside. Reserve the skillet with the drippings.
- Boil the potatoes until fork tender. Drain and cool, transfer to a large mixing bowl and smash them a bit with a fork or potato masher.
- Add the 4 tablespoons butter to the large skillet and melt over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and saute until the onion softens. Stir in the crushed fennel seed, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Add the sausage to the bowl with the potatoes and stir in the celery-onion mixture.
- Stir the beaten egg into the chicken broth, add the bread cubes to the mixing bowl and pour the broth/egg mixture over. Add the sliced green onions and stir the entire mixture until thoroughly combined and the bread has soaked up the broth. Taste a bit and add a little more salt and pepper if needed.
- Place the mixture in a well buttered 9x13 inch shallow baking dish. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes at 350F. Raise the oven temperature to 375F and continue to bake, uncovered for about 30 more minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes