If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sweet potato waffles, pumpkin waffles and the like seem always saddled with pumpkin pie spices, which is not a bad thing per se, but I felt like I needed to break free. Sweet potatoes are delicious with so many things, I wanted to make a waffle that echoed that adaptability and would be delicious with savory toppings as well as sweet. These are phenomenal with maple syrup, of course, but they're also delicious with eggs, sausages, avocado, turkey and cranberry, whatever you please! They're adapted from a pumpkin waffle recipe from an old Bon Appetit, and are wonderfully simple - just stir everything together and waffle away. —fiveandspice
Makes about twelve 4-inch waffles
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (increase up to 1/4 or 1/3 cup if you know you want your waffles for something sweet)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (13- or 14-ounce) coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cups pureed sweet potatoes (or pumpkin, or other winter squash)
- Preheat your waffle iron. In one bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, powder, salt, ginger, orange zest, and sugar.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, eggs, coconut milk, and pureed sweet potatoes. Then, stir in the dry ingredients just until smooth.
- Griddle the waffles in the waffle iron according to the iron's instruction, cooking until the waffles are browned and crispy on the outside. Keep cooked waffles warm in a 225F oven so you can serve them all at once. As with most waffles, these freeze well and can be toasted when you want to eat them. Serve the waffles with your choice of topping: maple syrup and pecans, avocado and a fried egg, chorizo and spinach, fried chicken and jalapeno syrup, sliced turkey with cranberries and cheddar, you name it!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
No-bake desserts are cool.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
The freedom to snack.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.