Serves 4-6 people as an entree
for the pesto
- 2 cups basil, packed
- 1 cup arugula, packed
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
- a pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup really good olive oil
for the pasta
- 3/4 pounds fusilli or another short pasta
- several tablespoons of sea salt (for the pasta water)
- 1 cup of peas (fresh or frozen, defrosted if they are frozen)
- a couple of handfuls of fresh arugula, chopped
- some parmesan to grate over top
- Make the pesto. Place all of the ingredients, expect for the olive oil, into a food processor. Pulse a few times, then while the food processor is running continuously add in the olive oil in a slow and steady stream until it is emulsified and you have the consistency you like. I find it is usually perfect at around 1/2 cup. Taste and adjust any seasoning accordingly.
- Place your pesto into a small bowl (or an airtight container) and place in the fridge until you're ready to dress the pasta.
- Cook the pasta according to the package, but be sure to add several tablespoons of salt to the water to season the pasta, and also drain the pasta 1-2 minutes prior to the time recommended on the package to ensure you achieve a more al dente texture.
- Place the cooked pasta into a large serving bowl and toss with the pesto. Add the peas, fresh arugula, and parmesan on top and serve.