If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was inspired by game season. The perfect pairing for game is something tart and sweet to offset the big flavor of the meat. Remembering I had loads of fresh red currants in the freezer, I decided to make a rôti de biche-roast of doe (female deer).
At my aunt's country house, there are cherry trees and currant bushes producing too much fruit for anyone to handle. Somehow I got saddled with all the currants this summer and since I am not really a “canner” and didn’t have time to use them right away, I decided to freeze them.
The sauce is also great after it cools and resembles jam or chutney. We served it with foie gras and toasted bread on Christmas Eve and everyone loved it. - LLoquet
Roasted Loin of Deer with Chestnuts and Fingerling Potatoes
- 3 pounds roast loin of deer
- 2 cups chestnuts*
- 1 pound fingerliing potatoes
- 5-6 shallots, halved
- thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 5-6 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat 4 T oil in a heavy bottomed, oven-proof pan on stove top. Brown the roast on all sides.
- Add chestnuts, potatoes, shallots, thyme. Season with sea salt and ground pepper. Add remaining olive oil and toss to coat garniture.
- Roast in a 350 degree oven until internal temperature is 130-135 degrees fahrenheit for medium-rare. Let rest before slicing.
Red Currant Rhubarb Sauce
- 4 cups red currants
- 2 cups rhubarb
- 3/4-1 cups sugar
- 1 cup ruby port
- salt and pepper
- pinches (optional) ground cloves, ginger, juniper berry
- Combine ingredients in saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until thick. You can adjust the amount of sugar, depending on how tart you want it to be. *Chestnuts are readily available in France- sold in jars and cans or frozen, peeled and blanched, ready to use. They are traditionally part of a holiday meal.
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.