Author Notes: This is like your classic morning grapefruit sprinkled with sugar, but using a warm honey-vanilla sauce instead of sugar makes it oh so much better, and the coconut adds a tropical note while making it a little more filling. This is a perfect light pick me up breakfast in the dead of winter. - fiveandspice
- 1/3 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 4 ruby grapefruits
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- yogurt for serving, if desired
- Toast the coconut in the oven at 350F, stirring it a couple times, until it is lightly browned and fragrant, about 7-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, use a sharp knife to cut the peel and pith off the grapefruits - cut the ends off first, then cutting down the sides following the curvature of the fruit to remove the peel and the white pith. Then, cut between the membranes to release the grapefruit segments. Divide the segments between 4 plates.
- Combine the honey and the butter in a small saucepan and bring to a bare simmer. Remove from the heat and scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the honey mixture. Stir the vanilla in. Then, drizzle the warm sauce over the plates of grapefruit.
- Top the grapefruits generously with toasted coconut and add a spoonful of yogurt to each plate, if desired. Serve!