If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: OK, so my Longhorns did NOT win the BCS championship. At least we had good chili to cry over. If you do not happen to have a nephew whose girlfriend's mom recently shot an elk and shared, then lean beef, bison, or venison will work. This is proof that chili does not have to be heavy and greasy!!! - aargersi
- thick slices of onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground elk
- 1/2 yellow onion - chopped
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 ancho chili
- 1 dark beer (I used Abita Oktoberfest)
- 8 ounces unsalted tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons masa harina
- 1 can red kidney beans - rinsed
- 1/2 cup beef or veal stock
- additional beer
- pickled jalapenos
- shredded sharp cheddar
- chili cheese Fritos (don't laugh - they're awesome!)
- Put your slices of onion in a container and cover them with water - stick them in the fridge for later
- Soak the ancho chili in the beer. When it is soft (I nuke mine for a couple of minutes to speed things up) remove the stem and seeds and chop it up. SAVE THE BEER!
- Heat the oil in a large pot to med-high. Add the elk, season with a bit of salt and pepper, and brown it for 7-8 minutes until the pink is gone.
- Add the chopped onions (not the ones in water in the fridge!) and cook for several more minutes, then the garlic and 2-3 more minutes.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, paprika, tomato sauce ancho chili and beer. Then add the rinsed beans.
- Dissolve the masa harina in the stock and add that to the pot too. If it's looking really thick (it should be a little soupy at this point) add some more beer. Drink what doesn't go into the chili.
- let the chili simmer until you are ready to eat (half time!). When it's time, pull the onions out of the fridge, drain the water and pat them dry. Chop em up. Makes for a sweeter crunchier topping!
- Serve up a bowl, top with cheese, onions, jalapenos, and chili cheese Fritos. Get a cold beer (or a Texas Tea if you don't drink!) and have at it!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe