Author Notes: Russian Honey Cake is light, sweet, and perfectly moist. It’s traditionally baked in a standard round pan, but I always love the way bundt pans make everything just a little fancier. It’s perfect with tea, with coffee, or with a cocktail. - Vicky Cassidy
Food52 Review: Moist, spongy, and fragrant, this is the perfect afternoon cake. I love how simple it is, even though it uses ingredients I already have in my pantry. I used a round 9-inch pan instead of a bundt pan, and I found the middle was a little undercooked, though the outside was a rich, mahogany brown. A bundt pan probably would have yielded slightly better results. Regardless, this cake was a hit and will definitely be made again. - EmFraiche
Serves 8 to 12
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- Butter for pan
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Beat egg whites with a mixer until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until mixture is almost white. Add in honey, baking soda, and sour cream. Mixing at low speed, gradually add flour and nuts, and mix until batter is uniform.
- Gently fold in egg whites.
- Generously butter a bundt cake pan (or a 9-inch round pan) and pour in batter. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Walnuts