Author Notes: Heavily adapted from Marcella Hazen's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking. Hazen's original uses fresh peas and pods (the latter to infuse the broth). You should make it! In April. - Nicholas Day
- 14-ounce bag frozen peas (a full pound is fine, too)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, freshly grated
- In a soup pot or dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until it becomes lightly golden. In a separate pot, heat the stock until it reaches a simmer.
- Once the onion is ready, add 3 cups of the simmering stock, the rice, the bag of frozen peas, and a good pinch of salt. Cover the pot and and cook at a low boil for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is just tender. If the soup is too thick, thin it slightly with the remaining stock; it should be thick but not porridge. When the rice is ready, add the grated Parmesan and taste for salt. Serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!