If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Heavily adapted from Marcella Hazen's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking. Hazen's original uses fresh peas and pods (the latter to infuse the broth). You should make it! In April. - Nicholas Day
- 14-ounce bag frozen peas (a full pound is fine, too)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, freshly grated
- In a soup pot or dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until it becomes lightly golden. In a separate pot, heat the stock until it reaches a simmer.
- Once the onion is ready, add 3 cups of the simmering stock, the rice, the bag of frozen peas, and a good pinch of salt. Cover the pot and and cook at a low boil for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is just tender. If the soup is too thick, thin it slightly with the remaining stock; it should be thick but not porridge. When the rice is ready, add the grated Parmesan and taste for salt. Serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!