Author Notes: this simple soup takes less than 20 minutes to prepare, and offers plenty of antioxidants, probiotics and a host of beneficial properties to help you improve the function of your immune system.
- aubrey | drum beets
- 4 cups vegetable or mushroom broth
- 3 tablespoons organic red miso paste
- 3 cups portobello or shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cups raw kale or chard, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 2-3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- in a medium sized soup pot, warm vegetable broth over medium heat. in a small mixing bowl measure 3 tablespoons of red miso paste and add a half-cup of hot broth. stir to dissolve paste and then add it back to the soup pot, whisking to dissolve completely. keep miso under the boiling point.
- add sliced mushrooms to miso broth, cover pot and simmer at a low temperature for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked through.
- remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. let the soup rest, covered, for a few minutes to wilt the greens.
- serve hot. feel cozy!