If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It was Valentine's Day and I had nothing to give. There was, of course, my never ending love. But try fitting that in a pretty, red box with a white bow.
You see, my husband has everything. Everything except this dumb bell set that will take up 75% of our bedroom in our matchbox Manhattan apartment. A feng shui sacrifice I was not quite ready to make.
So you now understand the gift giving predicament that plagued me all last week. And then it hit me. There was one thing the hubby had been pining for. One thing that he couldn't go out and immediately buy for himself before anyone else did [only because no one sells them].
A mug cake.
The man never requests a recipe. He sits back, lets me do my thing thing in the kitchen, then happily taste tests. But as of late, he was beginning to ask about mug cake recipes. Would I would maybe make one someday? Had I ever tried one? Did they taste as good as they looked?
For whatever unknown reason [or due to its popularity in the meathead community], the man had to have a mug cake. So I dedicated my afternoon to perfecting a microwaveable cake that happens to be served in a mug. After all, there's nothing more from the heart than a sweet, gluten free, allergy friendly, vegan treat. - Kait Turshen
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons allergy friendly non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons gluten free all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons organic white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons blueberries
- In a small mixing bowl or large mug, combine flaxseed with warm water. Whisk well and set aside for 5 minutes to allow mixture to thicken. This will serve as your “egg” in the recipe.
- Once "egg" has set, add milk, oil, and vanilla to bowl; whisk until well combined. Add in flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt; mix until just combined so that batter is smooth. Fold in blueberries.
- If using a mixing bowl, spoon batter into a lightly greased mug. Microwave mug cake on high for 90 seconds to 2 minutes. Timing will vary from microwave to microwave. Take care not to overcook.
Have a Brew-ti-ful Day
Shop our newest caffeinated collection.
Everything you need for coffee and tea.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
The final step to a genius dinner party.
A list of things we like.
Add flower power to your espresso.