Author Notes: "A hearty soup with tomatoes, stir-fried scrambled eggs and seasonal greens" was the inspiration for this soup--a description on a Chinese restaurant's menu. I was able to find several versions online and adapted them for this easy version--a tomato-based soup swirled with wispy egg, warming ginger and the satisfying umami of soy sauce. - Erika
- 15 ounces can of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 large eggs
- dashes sesame oil, optional
- dashes fish oil, optional
- In a medium pot over medium heat, add the tomatoes and sugar and cook for a few minutes until tomatoes are simmering.
- Add the ginger, both and soy sauce and bring to a boil.
- While mixture is boiling, whisk the eggs until broken up. Slowly stream the egg into the pot with one hand while stirring the soup with the other. Finish with a drizzle of sesame oil and/or fish sauce if you like.