If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is so simple, healthy, and delicious. All that's needed are veggies, and then the remaining ingredients can be tossed together from your pantry and fridge, and in less than 30 minutes (pardon me, Rachel Ray), you'll have a piping hot baked pasta on the table, ready to serve six hungry mouths. —PhoebeLapine
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 small eggplant, diced
- 1 zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 yellow squash, quartered and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes (I like to use fire-roasted for extra flavor)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound orzo
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- ½ cup grated fontina cheese
- Preheat the broiler. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook the orzo according to the package directions until al dente. Reserve ½ cup of the cooking liquid, drain, and set aside.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat and sauté the onion until translucent. Add the eggplant and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant has begun to soften, about five minutes. Toss in the zucchini and the squash and cook for another 3 minutes until tender. Add the garlic, tomatoes and all their juices, balsamic, red pepper, and salt to taste. Turn the heat down to medium-low and allow to reduce for a minute or two until some of the tomatoes’ acidity has softened, and the overall flavor of the sauce is to your liking.
- Stir in the cooked orzo and the cooking liquid until everything is well incorporated. Smooth the surface of the orzo mixture with the back of your spatula, and cover evenly with the cheeses. Place the skillet in the oven for five minutes or so until the cheese has melted and begun to brown.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Baked Pasta
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Savor the season.