If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Za'atar is one of my favorite spice blends; It’s full of flavor, and goes perfectly with mint and lemon. This recipe blends crunchy vegetables with garbanzo beans that have been roasted with za'atar. It’s very easy and quick to make, and can be eaten both warm and cold. If desired, add some crumbled feta cheese for creaminess. - Shruti Jain
Food52 Review: We're longtime fans of roasted garbanzos, but za'atar takes them, and this vibrant salad, in a delightfully different direction. Once the ingredients are assembled, this salad comes together quickly. The garbanzos offer a deep flavor that is highlighted by the zesty lemon juice and the refreshing notes of fennel and cabbage. The colors of the salad are as enticing as its flavors.
This was a perfect light dinner for two of us, and the leftovers held up beautifully as lunch the next day. - lmikkel
- One 14-ounce can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- 2 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons za'atar
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup mint, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Preheat the oven to 250° F.
- In a bowl, mix chickpeas with 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, then add the salt, za’atar, black pepper, lemon juice, and zest. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Pour the canola oil into a deep-sided pan and heat it to 350° F. Fry the shallots until red and crunchy, then transfer them to a paper towel to drain.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a sauté pan over high heat. Add in the garlic, stir, then add the carrot, fennel, and red cabbage. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from the heat and add the roasted chickpeas, mint, raisins, and maple syrup. Mix well. Add feta cheese, if desired. Taste and add more vinegar, lemon, or salt if needed. Garnish with fried shallots.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Chickpeas
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.