If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My grandmother loved scallions. She used them in everything from quiche to tuna salad, but my favorite was always this pesto concoction with scallions, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, and breadcrumbs, baked on top of chicken. It’s my go-to weeknight dinner, and my kid’s favorite. —secretsofahomecook
Food52 Review: I made secretsofahomecook's Scallion Pesto-Crusted Chicken tonight and, having just put my kids to bed, was thrilled by how quickly it came together. Basically, you put a few ingredients in a food processor, mix in some breadcrumbs, and press the beautifully-hued pesto atop chicken breasts before roasting them. The scallions offer a great twist on an otherwise fairly classic pesto, and I loved how the addition of breadcrumbs made for a topping that didn't slide off during cooking; instead, I ended up with a lovely crust with a very pleasing color. This makes a really nice addition to a weeknight meal rotation, but it would also be at home at a casual dinner party. —em-i-lis
Serves 4 to 6
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs (I used panko)
- 3 pounds chicken breasts (4 to 6)
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Place pine nuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the preheating oven for 5 minutes, until just golden.
- In a food processor, pulse scallions, Parmesan, toasted pine nuts, and salt. With motor on, drizzle in 1/4 cup olive oil until mixture looks like a paste. Transfer into a bowl and mix in breadcrumbs.
- Place chicken on a rimmed baking sheet. Divide scallion pesto mixture on top of chicken breasts, making sure they are evenly covered. Drizzle remaining olive oil over the top. Bake for 30 minutes, until crust is brown. Serve as-is, or slice chicken into 1-inch pieces.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Scallions
Quick! Make these summery recipes while there's still time
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Our staff's best storage tips.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
This week's #happylist.
Storage made crystal clear.