If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This soup truly rocks my world. It may not seem fancy or unusual, but the addition of a goat milk béchamel to thicken the soup imparts the most divine flavor that feels at once healthy and luxurious. I've been sharing this recipe with vegetarian (non-vegan) friends who give it rave reviews. - eatboutique
For the Soup
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 (2-inch) piece of ginger, peeled and sliced into thin batons
- 1 whole cauliflower, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch thyme springs (5-6 springs), tied with kitchen string
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 64 ounces chicken stock
- 12 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- extra virgin olive oil, for garnish
For the Béchamel Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup goat milk (or cow milk, if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a slow cooker set to high, gently place the following ingredients - onion, carrots, garlic, ginger, cauliflower, bay leaves, thyme bunch, salt, pepper and chicken stock. Let the cooker work its magic for at least 4 hours.
- At the 4-hour mark, add in the mushrooms into the slow cooker.
- At the same time, make the béchamel sauce: Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in the flour until dissolved and cook a couple of minutes until the mixture has turned a light beige in color. Whisk in the goat milk, cheese, nutmeg, salt and white pepper. Continue to stir for about 5 minutes while the mixture thickens.
- Remove the thyme bunch and bay leaves from the soup. Stir the béchamel sauce into the soup. (At this point, I poured the contents of my slow cooker into a pot on the stove, set to medium heat, and stirred in the béchamel sauce. My slow cooker was too tiny to hold everything, but yours may be large enough for everything.)
- Add the chopped parsley and taste to ensure the seasoning is to your taste. Add additional salt and pepper as needed. Serve in deep bowls with a little toasted bread and a drizzle of your best extra virgin olive oil.
Why the Simplest Recipes Are Still Worthwhile
Cheer up with chickpeas.
Goya's Balsamic Chickpea Salad
The sun is out: Are you?
It's Snack Time
Gifts for Mother's Day
Good day, sunshine.