If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Savory, sweet and spice combine to give this healthful salad a flavorful punch. It's earthy and bright all at once, with a mix of pleasing textures to boot. It's delicious cold or at room temperature, and only gets better with time. —Merav
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ground cumin
- Quinoa: Toast the quinoa in a pan in some olive oil until golden, and then add 1 1/3 cup water and a pinch salt. Stir to mix and bring to boil. Cover the pan and lower heat to lowest setting, cook for 25 mins. Remove from the heat and leave covered for 5 mins, then fluff. I let it cool to room temp for this dish.
- Sweet potato: Preheat oven to 375. Peel and dice the potato into bite-sized cubes. Place on a sheet tray and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with a light dusting of cumin, season with salt and pepper, then toss to evenly coat. Roast for 25 mins. Allow to cool to room temp.
- Dressing: In a small bowl, add the garlic, lime juice, 1/2 tsp cumin (or to taste), salt and pepper to taste, and then add olive oil in a slow stream as you mix to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning according to taste.
- Assemble salad: In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and toss to mix thoroughly. Add the dressing and toss again, tasting for seasoning and adjusting as needed.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
Never Heard of KonMari?
Your life's about to change (and get tidier)
The magic of KonMari.
Winner of Your Best Middle Eastern Recipe.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Get your shine on.