Author Notes: Savory, sweet and spice combine to give this healthful salad a flavorful punch. It's earthy and bright all at once, with a mix of pleasing textures to boot. It's delicious cold or at room temperature, and only gets better with time. - Merav
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ground cumin
- Quinoa: Toast the quinoa in a pan in some olive oil until golden, and then add 1 1/3 cup water and a pinch salt. Stir to mix and bring to boil. Cover the pan and lower heat to lowest setting, cook for 25 mins. Remove from the heat and leave covered for 5 mins, then fluff. I let it cool to room temp for this dish.
- Sweet potato: Preheat oven to 375. Peel and dice the potato into bite-sized cubes. Place on a sheet tray and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with a light dusting of cumin, season with salt and pepper, then toss to evenly coat. Roast for 25 mins. Allow to cool to room temp.
- Dressing: In a small bowl, add the garlic, lime juice, 1/2 tsp cumin (or to taste), salt and pepper to taste, and then add olive oil in a slow stream as you mix to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning according to taste.
- Assemble salad: In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and toss to mix thoroughly. Add the dressing and toss again, tasting for seasoning and adjusting as needed.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe